SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 2018 CONTEST ARE NOW OPEN!
THE DEADLINE FOR ALL ENTRIES IS OCTOBER 15, 2018.
There is no entry fee.
- Original composition for a cappella, 4-6 part mixed choir, occasional divisi is acceptable;
- Approximately three to six minutes long;
- Not previously performed in Massachusetts;
- Anonymous submission:
- Remove all names and identifying marks;
- Provide a separate document (PDF or Word) containing your name, address, email, and phone number;
- Submit a legible score. In addition, recordings or synthesized versions are strongly encouraged but are not required;
- A maximum of two different scores may be submitted by each composer;
- If the text is not public domain, include written permission to use it;
- You must submit electronically via email to email@example.com with your piece as a PDF attachment. Sibelius, Finale and other formats will not be accepted. Attachments larger than 5MB are blocked, so use a Dropbox, such as SendStuffNow, for larger audio files.
The prize for the winning composition is $700. The piece will also be performed by the Cambridge Chamber Singers at their two concerts in the Boston area. CCS encourages the composer’s attendance.
The Cambridge Chamber Singers reserves the right to not award a prize.
There are no restrictions according to age or residency. The text may be in any language. A composer may submit no more than two pieces, but composers are welcome to resubmit non-winning works again.
Composers will receive an e-mail confirming their completed application at the close of the competition. Before that time, composers will only be contacted if their submission is incomplete.
For further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2017 David von Kampen, Lincoln, NE, USA – Here Among the Flowers
- 2017 Honorable Mention: Jean Ahn, San Francisco, CA, USA – Folksong Revisited: Gangwondo Arirang
- 2016 Hamid Mardkhanjari, Tehran, Iran – Konus Kale
- 2015 Kelly-Marie Murphy, Ottowa, Canada – Miserere
- 2014 [Administrative break]
- 2013 [Administrative break]
- 2012 Nick Omiccioli, Kansas City, MO – A Song of Joys
- 2011 Gregory Zavracky, Jamaica Plain, MA – Sighs are my Food
- 2010 Giselle Wyers, Lake Forest Park, WA- Love and Wine (commission)
- 2009 Elizabeth Kennedy Bayer, Phoenix, AZ – One Day When It’s Winter
- 2008 Stephen Feigenbaum, New Haven, CT – Clair de lune
- 2007 Joshua Shank, Austin, TX – A Grass-Green Pillow
- 2006 Abbie Betinis, Saint Paul, MN – Carmina Mei Cordis (Songs of My Heart)
- 2005 David Schneider, Bloomington, IN, USA – O Colonia
- 2004 Sydney Guillaume, Miami, FL, USA – Kalinda
- 2003 Paul Carey, Oak Park, IL, USA – Esta Tarde
- 2002 Giselle Wyers, Boise, ID, USA – Ave Maria
- 2001 Ulrike Emanuelsson, Lund, Sweden – Rosten ur morkret sjunger
- 2000 Julian Wachner, Boston, MA, USA – there is a moon sole
- 1999 Jason Bahr, Urbana, IL, USA – Psaume 1
- 1998 Forrest Pierce, Urbana, IL, USA – Song of Songs
- 1997 Tsippi Fleischer, Tel Aviv, Israel – No Hand has Touched You